Connect with us

Golovkin inks mega-fight deal with DAZN

News

Golovkin inks mega-fight deal with DAZN

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

Golovkin inks mega-fight deal with DAZN

We are one step closer to seeing the “Triple G-Canelo rubber match” this fall.  This after Friday morning, former undisputed middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin and the DAZN streaming service worked out a three-year, six-fight agreement.

Boxingscene.com senior writer and columnist, Keith Idec, had the info on the deal:

As idec reported and DAZN confirmed Friday morning, the deal has Golovkin not only fighting, but also having three of his promotional cards to be streamed on the service.

DAZN Group Executive Chairman John Skipper said in their statement:

“DAZN has quickly become the new home of boxing by making the biggest events easily available to the fans,” said Golovkin. “When deciding on where I wanted to continue my career, DAZN’s global vision perfectly matched my goals – not just for my career but the opportunity to showcase talented Eastern European fighters to the world. Thank you to my fans for all of the loyal support and I look forward to you joining me on DAZN.”

“Gennady Golovkin is a generational talent with international appeal,” said Skipper. “We’re confident he will bring his passionate fans to the platform as we produce tentpole events with his team over the next several years.”

As we wrote about last month, and it’s now confirmed, GGG’s first fight is slated to be a tune-up and will be after  Anthony Joshua-“Big Baby” Miller Heavyweight Title showdown June 1st at Madison Square Garden, possibly on June 15th.

That’s also the historic venue, where Golovkin headlined, as the main event two previous times in 2015 and again, in 2017.

Meanwhile, Alvarez will defend the middleweight belts that he won off of Golovkin in the Las Vegas desert in a May 4th showdown against IBF champ, Daniel Jacobs.

Victories by both Canelo and Triple G will set up a rematch likely in September or October between the the two of them.

Their first fight ended in a controversial draw in September of 2017  and then, Alvarez was awarded a questionable Split Decision in the rematch late last year. Those remain the only blemishes on Golovkin’s record as a professional. He’s 38-1-1.

Father time is also an obstacle for Golovkin, who will turn 37 years old next month, and that’s another  reason this timeline is expedited with DAZN for the pending third fight with Alvarez.

T J Rives

A veteran broadcaster of over 25 years, T.J. has been a fight fan longer than that! He’s the host of the “Big Fight Weekend” podcast and will go “toe to toe” with anyone who thinks that Marvin Hagler beat Sugar Ray Leonard or that Tyson, Lennox Lewis or Deontay Wilder could have beaten Ali!

More in News

Advertisement
To Top