World Boxing Champion Heavyweight Champion Deontay Wilder made announcement earlier this week that he is fighting Luis Ortiz in a rematch of their 2018 bout later on this year. Him making note of this puts to a halt to any possibly of any chances in 2019 of a unification bout with multiple titleholder Anthony Joshua in the immediate future.
In a interview with the Los Angeles Times on Thursday , Wilder explained his reasoning for taking on Ortiz more than likely at Staples Center in the fall and why none of the major fights aren’t happening at this time.
“I knew none of these major fights were going to happen this year, so why not go ahead and get Ortiz II in there?” Wilder said in interview with The Times.
“This was the perfect time to finish [Ortiz] in a better fashion, and better than to wait on ‘this major fight.’ … I don’t trust anything that [Joshua and his team] say. And who else is fighting Ortiz?”
Deontay Wilder explains why he’s not waiting for Anthony Joshua this year. https://t.co/gi4do1gEPg
— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) May 31, 2019
When asked about those who were opposed to this fight with Ortiz, he stated in the interview from his home in Birmingham, Alabama:
“The ones who hate this, I understand that because they want Wilder-Joshua. Everyone is impatient. They want what they want, but knowing I am the most exciting heavyweight in the world, you’ll still watch the [Ortiz] fight, no matter what, because I bring the drama and the pain.”
Also in the interview he said the onus is on Anthony Joshua and his promotion Matchroom Boxing, to make this fight happen.
“Without [Matchroom], this fight would be done a long time ago. He can say all he wants. They still have a say-so on him. So why sit and talk with him? He’s not on my level.”
“Why not even let Saturday’s fight play out and perhaps approach Joshua in the ring after his potential victory? “That doesn’t work. I went to one of his fights, but he didn’t want me to step into the ring,” Wilder said to the Times. “And how many fights of mine has he been to? He could’ve come [May 18]. You ain’t training that hard, bro, like [11-to-1 underdog Ruiz] is a serial killer … . Come on. If he really wanted that fight, he would’ve been there.”
— Anthony Joshua (@anthonyfjoshua) May 30, 2019
Wilder is of course mentioning that Joshua was not present after his first round knockout of mandatory opponent Dominic Breazeale at the Barclays Center earlier this month..
“I’m not chasing nobody no more,” Wilder told the Times. “The shoe’s on the other foot. I know the fight’s going to happen eventually, but it’s good to see them begging.”
So while this interview sounds like both sides are more far apart then before, he did close it by stating he’ll reconsider a Joshua fight next year, and added he’s agreeable to a potential solution that would allow each fighter to earn 50% of the purse money offered in closed bidding by Joshua’s television partner DAZN and Wilder’s Showtime/Fox.
Until then, don’t look for it otherwise.