Tyson- Jones to square off in September exhibition?
Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. are going to get back into the ring in September 2020 and this is not a drill…. or is it?
Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports reported today that we are getting the exhibition matchup between Tyson and Jones Jr. Both are planning to make the eight-round matchup on Sept. 12th at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California.
Andy Foster, the executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, confirmed that Tyson has put a hold on that date in the story to Yahoo.
“This isn’t a situation where they’re going out there to try to take each other’s heads off,” Foster told Yahoo Sports. “They’re just going to be in there moving around the ring and letting fans see these legends.”
— Kevin Iole (@KevinI) July 23, 2020
I don’t think anyone was expecting to see the 54-year-old Tyson take on the 51-year-old Jones in a sanctioned contest. Iole also reported that the fighters may be using much larger 12 oz. gloves, as part of the exhibition, too.
But, anyone who has been following Tyson saw late yesterday that he has started “Legends Only League” for senior athletes to compete in. From the reports gathered, the league with Tyson sounds like a “Seniors Tour” of the old television show “Pros vs. Joes” minus the Joes.
“It’s always been a dream of mine to create, build, and honor athletes,” said Tyson in the press release. “All athletes live to follow their dreams and fight for excellence. It’s something that is inherent in each of us and that drive never goes away. Legends Only League will support athletes in their individual sports, creating some of the most epic competitions, products and live events in the world.”
This is definitely the similar concept that was on the American reality game show that ran on Spike TV from 2006 to 2010 that featured, ironically Roy Jones Jr on it during its second season.
We’ve written on here about Tyson wanting to get back into the ring and was originally looking he was to challenge at the time Evander Holyfield. While Tyson-Holyfield III looks to not be the case in the short term, it looks like for the time being, Tyson taking on Jones is going to be a thing.
Then, again, there hasn’t been an announcement and it’s unclear, whether the fighters, both over 50, will pass pre-fight neurological, drug, etc. testing prior to being licensed to fight an actual fight.
So how many other of these legends are slated and expected to be in action?
Per the Yahoo report, Foster said there had been talk that there would have been a boxing match between former multi division World champion James Toney and former UFC champion Tito Ortiz on the undercard, but said Ortiz told him it wasn’t going to happen.
Toney has been another one looking to get back into the ring as well alongside the other fighters who were forces in the ring in the 1990s. The undercard for this is scheduled to possibly have, as Chris Mannix of SI mentioned as well a fight between Youtube star Jake Paul taking on 2006 NBA Slam Dunk Champion, Nate Robinson.
I’m just going to end this story of this event on that note.
As organizers of (alleged) Tyson-Jones fight put the card together, one fight that could be part of the show: YouTuber Jake Paul against former NBA guard Nate Robinson.
— Chris Mannix (@SIChrisMannix) July 23, 2020