Connect with us

Shawn Porter On Terence Crawford Fight- “It Will Happen”

News

Shawn Porter On Terence Crawford Fight- “It Will Happen”

PBC File Photo

Shawn Porter On Terence Crawford Fight- “It Will Happen”

Off the Yordenis Ugas upset of Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night, the Welterweight division continues to make big news, including the next big title fight on the horizon. That’s believed to be unbeaten WBO champ, Terence Crawford, being mandated to defend against former WBC titleholder, Shawn Porter. And, for his part, Porter said Tuesday the title fight with Crawford is happening.

Porter appeared as phone guest on the “T.C. Martin Radio Show” in Las Vegas Tuesday afternoon, and made clear that the WBO purse bid scheduled for September 2nd, means someone will set Crawford-Spence into motion.

Porter told Martin in part Tuesday,

“There’s gonna be a purse bid- live on Facebook. And I know one thing, Terence Crawford vs. Shawn Porter, it will happen. The WBO has mandated it. I don’t know when. I don’t know where and I don’t know who’s gonna be promoting it until that purse bid happens, but I’m looking forward to it.”

When Martin asked Porter, who was seen giving analysis Saturday night on the Fox Sports PPV of Ugas-Pacquiao,  about whether he was specifically training for Crawford right now?

“100 percent. I’m training, because my dad (his trainer) has got some young guys out here. They’re keeping me young. They’re keeping me moving…. And the end of the day, this is what I do. Even if there wasn’t anything being mandated by the WBO, I would still be training and staying in shape. Ready for whenever that call comes. It just so happens that this one has been made very public.”

Hear us discussing the proposed Crawford-Porter more on the “Big Fight Weekend Podcast,” as Marquis Johns joined me. Click below,

As we wrote earlier this week, the WBO verified that Top Rank Boxing, who still has the rights to Crawford’s fights until their deal expires or gets renewed later this year and Premier Boxing Champions, who has Porter, failed to reach a deal before the purse bid was set.

That means it will be a “blind bid submission” by them and others (that could include: Matchroom Boxing, Golden Boy Promotions, Triller “Fight Club,” etc.) and the highest one will get the rights to promote the fight.

Of course, there is still the variable that Crawford could vacate the WBO belt to avoid having to fight Porter altogether. However, the Porter fight would be a better opponent and more lucrative overall than anyone else Crawford has fought recently and he’s been inactive for over 9 months already, since his last defense.

Now, we wait for it all to play out for September 2nd.

A veteran broadcaster of over 25 years, T.J. has been a fight fan longer than that! He’s the host of the “Big Fight Weekend” podcast and will go “toe to toe” with anyone who thinks that Marvin Hagler beat Sugar Ray Leonard or that Tyson, Lennox Lewis or Deontay Wilder could have beaten Ali!

Comments

More in News

Advertisement
To Top