Ryan Garcia- Luke Campbell Battle Back On For January
We knew that both sides in the World Lightweight contender showdown between unbeaten American Ryan Garcia and English 135 lb. star, Luke Campbell, would want to reschedule their bout. And, now we have the official date for January.
Campbell was sidelined last week after testing positive for Covid 19 and experiencing symptoms that forced his training for the scheduled 12 round bout to stop. But, the popular, former Olympic Gold Medalist, was anxious to get the fight back on track ASAP.
On Friday afternoon, Golden Boy Promotions and the DAZN streaming service made it official that the bout will be held Saturday night January, 2nd, 2021 at a site to be determined (likely California),
— Golden Boy (@GoldenBoyBoxing) November 20, 2020
“My mindset going into this fight hasn’t changed, and my training hasn’t stopped,” said Ryan Garcia in the official announcement of the reschedule. “I’m excited we have a new date and can finally bring this to the fans. I’m here, and I’m ready to ring in the new year with a victory…let’s go!”
“New date, new year, same result,” said Luke Campbell. “I’m fully back in training and have never felt better. What a way to start 2021 this is going to be with a clinical Luke Campbell win.”
The WBC had mandated the Garcia-Campbell fight back in early August, while the fighters and their promoters hashed out when and where to fight. They eventually settled on Saturday December 5th without fans at the Fantasy Springs Resort in Indio, CA. It is believed that the winner will battle unbeaten WBC champ, Devin Haney in 2021.
Campbell, 20-3, 16 KOs. is a popular English fighter, who suffered a loss for the vacant WBC belt August 31st of 2019, via 12-round decision in London to former Unified Champ, Vasyl Lomachenko. He has not fought since.
The 22 year old Garcia is 20-0, 17 KOs, and has shown spoiled behavior at times This includes, as recently as July, when he refused to cooperate with De La Hoya. That’s, as Golden Boy wanted Garcia for the main event in what they had hoped would be their first fight card back post Covid-19 on July 4th.
However, Garcia refused the opponent list that De La Hoya had and for the money that he was being offered and was in “contract limbo” for about 90 days before the Campbell fight was made the first time. He was last in the ring in February for a 1st round KO.
It’s believed that the Garcia-Campbell battle will be back on for the Fantasy Springs Resort, in Indio, CA, but that is not yet confirmed.