Connect with us

Oscar De La Hoya Deadlines Moving Off Davis-Garcia

Oscar De La Hoya Deadlines Moving Off Davis-Garcia

Boxing News

Oscar De La Hoya Deadlines Moving Off Davis-Garcia

Cris Esqueda -Golden Boy Promotions

Oscar De La Hoya Deadlines Moving Off Davis-Garcia

Soon after Saturday night’s boring Top Rank Boxing main event televised by ESPN, Golden Boy Promotions owner/CEO Oscar De La Hoya made the news of the night. That’s when the hall of fame fighter turned promoter announced that he/his company still don’t have a formal agreement for the proposed mega-fight between multi-division world champ Gervonta Davis and top 135 lb. contender, Ryan Garcia.

Taking to social media, De La Hoya posted just before 10:30 p.m. Pacific time that he not only doesn’t have the deal, but that he’s deadlining Davis’ side, including Premier Boxing Champions and Showtime Sports, to get him the agreement by Monday or else,

“I have no contract, deadline for me is Monday or I’m moving on. #DavisGarcia,” De La Hoya wrote.

He then published another post taking aim at PBC,

“(Premier Boxing Champions)fighters who are under a spell must realize they have no legacy, you are just a tool and will never be a legend. #sorry.”

Davis and Garcia announced jointly in November that they had agreed, in principle, to meet in a what would be one of the most interesting and lucrative bouts in all of boxing for 2023.

As we wrote then, Garcia was excited for the potential mega bout, posting on his social, media,

Garcia, 23-0, 19 KOs, was last in action in July in his second bout of 2022 for Golden Boy Boxing and after taking considerable time off for mental health issues and a hand injury. Garcia overwhelmed veteran Javier Fortuna by knocking him down three times, including for the final time less than 30 seconds into the six round for the win,

Another important verification besides just the fighters is Showtime Sports President Steven Espinoza had confirmed that the bout will be a joint pay-per-view on his Network just as Davis’ last few bouts have been.  But, the proposed fight as well would be on the DAZN streaming service which has deal with Garcia and De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions. He tweeted in November,

For his part, Davis, now 28-0, 26 KOs, was just in the ring in a previously scheduled Showtime PPV last weekend in Washington D.C. That’s when “Tank” stopped Hector Luis Garcia (no relation to Ryan) after eight rounds for a TKO.

Davis told the media post-fight about the potential to finally meet Ryan Garcia after more than two years of discussion and motivation,

“God willing, I’m ready for the fight,” Davis said. “It’s scheduled for April. I’m here. He’s been training. He’s been talking. And let’s see who’s really about that. On my end I’m ready. I’ll be in the gym Monday. Well, not Monday. I’ll probably take a week off but I’ll be back for sure soon.”

It’s also been made clear on the terms agreed to late last year that in addition to the firming of the financial details and the date/location of the fight, Showtime will be the sole producer and distributor of the bout, with DAZN being allowed to show a replay of the broadcast.

Now, we wait for more by Monday on whether the fight will formally move forward, De La Hoya extends his deadline or whether Garcia will start searching for another bout?

Continue Reading

A veteran broadcaster of over 25 years, T.J. has been a fight fan longer than that! He’s the host of the “Big Fight Weekend” podcast and will go “toe to toe” with anyone who thinks that Marvin Hagler beat Sugar Ray Leonard or that Tyson, Lennox Lewis or Deontay Wilder could have beaten Ali!

Comments

More in Boxing News

Advertisement
To Top