Golden Boy Promotions’ boxing events will remain on DAZN after the sports streaming service and Oscar De La Hoya’s company on Thursday announced that they have finalized a new multi-year deal.
Terms were not disclosed, but the deal is for three years, through 2024, a source with knowledge of the agreement told Big Fight Weekend.
“We are delighted to extend our partnership with Golden Boy,” DAZN executive vice president Ed Breeze said in a statement. “Golden Boy has an excellent stable including some of the hottest prospects in boxing, and their shows always feature non-stop action from the first bell to the last.”
The new deal has been a long time coming. Golden Boy has been with DAZN since late 2018 – where it went after HBO ended its boxing coverage after 45 years. They have been working on the new agreement since November.
Although there were issues, according to sources, the sides continued to work together in good faith, which is why Golden Boy has had regular cards on DAZN since the official expiration of the deal late last year with those events counting toward the newly signed agreement.
Besides Golden Boy’s top-tier events that feature fighters such as lightweight star Ryan Garcia, light heavyweight contender Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez, welterweight contender Vergil Ortiz Jr. and middleweight contender Jaime Munguia, the new deal also includes a budget for the prospect recently launched development series ‘Golden Boy Fight Night on DAZN’ series, which has already had two cards this year.
The deal calls for six such cards in the first year with the possibility of expanding to more in following years, according to a source.
“As part of our new partnership we will be looking to unearth the next generation of boxing talent in our new development series ‘Golden Boy Fight Night on DAZN,’” Breeze said of the show, which is hosted by blow-by-blow announcer Beto Duran and analyst, Hall of Famer and Golden Boy partner Bernard Hopkins.
Golden Boy’s initial deal with DAZN signed in 2018 was for five years, but renegotiated in December 2020 as part of the settlement of Canelo Alvarez’s breach of contract lawsuit against both entities that resulted in him becoming a promotional and broadcast free agent.
Despite that situation, Golden Boy and DAZN began working on a new deal that would keep them together.
In late October, when asked about the negotiations for a new deal, DAZN executive vice president Joe Markowski said in an interview,
“Our relationship with Golden Boy is great and we love working with them. They deliver great value. They’ve got a great roster of fighters who speak to our base, who deliver value. We have a good, very, very healthy relationship with Golden Boy. We have an ongoing relationship with Golden Boy. We’re planning to do lots more work with Golden Boy. We plan to do many more fights with Golden Boy in the future.”
That means for at least another three years.