Monday afternoon Matchroom Boxing announced the new opponent next month for WBC 140 lb. champ Regis Prograis’ upcoming title defense in his hometown of New Orleans. It will be Puerto Rican contender Danielito Zorrilla stepping in for the world title challenge.
Prograis, 28-1, 24 KOs, was to have fought Australian Liam Paro in the June 17th main event of the DAZN show from the Smoothie King Center in downtown NOLA. However, Paro pulled out of the bout last week with an undisclosed injury.
Enter, the 29 year old Zorrilla, 17-1, 14 KOs, who last was on a bigger stage in July 2022, when he was beaten by decision for his first pro loss in a contender showdown with Arnold Barboza.
However, the hard hitter Zorrilla has since scored a lightning, first round KO back in March of Aristides Quintero to get some confidence back.
Prograis said in the Matchroom statement Monday,
“I’m glad that Zorrilla has taken the fight,” Prograis said. “Nothing changes for me. I am still working hard to go out there and prove that I am the best fighter in the world at 140 pounds. I will go out, do my thing, show out for my city and defend my title with pride,” Prograis said.
“I’m sad for Liam but we have a great replacement, and I am going to make everyone proud. Everyone in the city is stopping me in the street and asking me about the fight, so I cannot wait to get in there and put on a show. It’s going to be a fire fight.”
Prograis has bigger plans
Prograis recaptured a portion of the junior welterweight titles with an 11th round TKO over Jose Zepeda. He previously held the WBA 140 lb. crown before Scotland’s Josh Taylor defeated him in a close decision in October of 2021. That’s the lone blemish of Prograis’ career.
Our Dan Rafael has reported that if Prograis is victorious in Juney, Matchroom would like the second bout of his three fight deal with the promotion could be against newly crowned IBF champion Subriel Matias later this year.