IBF Super Middleweight champion Caleb Plant is looking forward to taking on pound-for-pound king Canelo Alvarez, but it’s going to be when he is ready.
Plant in an interview with Manouk Akopyan for Boxingscene.com, spoke about the prospects of the fight and what really transpired in the days following his homecoming title defense where he outboxed Vincent Feginbutz over ten rounds to retain last month.
“I just got out of the ring. I’m not going back into training camp. [Team Canelo] did that to Sergey Kovalev,” Plant said to Boxingscene. “For people to knock on me, they’ve never overtrained a day in their life. They don’t know what it’s like because they don’t work out,. I may have not taken any punishment in my last fight, but you have to let your body rest from all of the hard work you put in before that in training.”
No elavator to success you gotta put in the work… you gotta take the stairs…
— CalebPlant (@SweetHandsPlant) March 1, 2020
The noise about Plant taking Canelo was due to Canelo supposedly being offered a chance to fight on May 2nd, however, Plant wasn’t interested on short notice to be apart of the “Canelo sweepstakes.”
“That’s what’s more important … I want to fight Canelo. It’s almost positive he’s fighting Billy Joe Saunders in May, and in Japan after that. Who do you think he’s fighting in Japan? Me, or Ryota Murata? They’re hoping to get all of the sheep to follow them.”
While not official yet Alavrez’s trainer Eddy Reynoso hinted that he is taking on Billy Joe Saunders, something that Saunders’ promoter Eddie Hearn has denied as he was on hand for Mikey Garcia’s victory over Jessie Vargas in Frisco over the weekend.
While we wait for that announcement that should take place soon, Plant mentioned that he is already a legitimate titleholder and that they never gave him an offer.
“I’m not Andy Ruiz, who’s not a world champion and is dieing to get his spot solidified and take a fight on short notice,” Plant said . “I’m a world champion who’s defended my title twice. I’m a world class fighter, and that demands respect. The thing is, they haven’t even sent me an offer. That’s the most important part … A secondary guy reached out to a secondary guy I know. That’s not a legitimate offer.”
While getting an offer from a guy that sort of knows a guy isn’t the best way to start contract negotiations, I really think that Canelo’s team dropped his name to gauge interest in a potential bout. The interest is there and let’s see if that opens up another door in the event a unification bout with David Benevidez doesn’t materialize.
“That’s the fight that I want,” said Plant. “We can definitely make that fight happen.”