Hearn on Anthony Joshua Step Aside Offer- “He Won’t Do It”
For those considering, or even holding out hope, that former Unified Heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua would accept a “step aside” financial offer to allow new champ Oleksandr Usyk to fight WBC Heavyweight Champion Tyson Fury in an Undisputed Title fight later this Summer, Joshua’s promoter has basically dismissed it.
Appearing on the latest edition of the “DAZN Boxing Show,” Matchroom Boxing’s Eddie Hearn gave his input into what he knows on the step aside offer and what he believes will be the Brits response will be to it.
“There is definitely no deal done….” Hearn told the show. “He won’t want to do it. A lot of people who know boxing know if you’re going to a new trainer (Joshua parted with Rob McCraken), people will say, ‘It’s a very smart move.’ Then on the other hand it’s, ‘Oh, you’re ducking him (Usyk).’ You can’t win.”
Hearn, who prior to Joshua losing Usyk last September, agreed with the fighter on a “lifetime contract” has been in charge of promoting and getting Joshua hefty pay days his entire career.
And on that point, while Hearn confirmed to the show that there has been an offer, he disputed that it was for a reported $15 million pounds.
For his part, Joshua went public with a video on social media Monday to dispute what had been in the Sunday British tabloids on the report that he would accept the step aside money to not rematch Usyk right away. Rather, let the Undisputed Title fight happen with the guarantee that Joshua would face the winner for all the belts,
AJ responds to claims he's accepted 15M to step aside! pic.twitter.com/hMNjuktujn
— Undefeated Podcast (@undefeated_pod) January 24, 2022
“I see certain interviews that quote what I said. I think to myself, I ‘aint done no interviews. Where did this person get that information from? I’m hearing people saying AJ accepts $15 mil (pounds) to step aside. I ‘aint signed no contract. I ‘aint seen no contract,” Joshua said in the Monday video.
So, as it stands, stop listening to the BullSh#*t. Until it comes from me. I’m the man in control of my destiny, my business. I’m the man that handles my business. I’m a smart individual. And, I make calculated decisions every step of the way.
Don’t listen to BullSh#*t from other sources. If I tell you something, then you’ll no it’s real.”
So, at the moment we remain in limbo with what will happen next?
However, what’s not in dispute is Joshua has a signed agreement for the rematch with the Ukrainian unbeaten WBA/ IBF and WBO World Champ. And, it seems to make the most sense that he will follow through and try to regain his titles for the second time, just like he did in 2019 after losing to American Andy Ruiz.