Tyson Fury is in a much anticipated rematch against Deontay Wilder on February 22nd which will shape the heavyweight landscape at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Fury, always looking to do whatever hinted that boxing may realistically be just the short term.
“I expect Wilder next, Joshua, then Dillian Whyte. Then I’m out,” Fury told IFL TV.
— TYSON FURY (@Tyson_Fury) January 19, 2020
Refreshing to hear Fury want to take on the best of the rest in the heavyweight division as he spent 2019 taking on non-household names as Tom Schwarz and Otto Wallin. Fury, not known for praising or even picking up other heavyweights was glowing with praise about the prospects of taking on Dillian Whyte.
“He’s been mandatory for I don’t know how many days, 2,000 days, and he hasn’t had a world-title shot. So when I beat Wilder I’ll give him a shot,” Fury said.
Whyte has been the WBC mandatory to challenge Wilder for a while now and lost a ruling that would’ve had him face Wilder last year, which ultimately went to Dominic Breazeale. Whyte as the #1 contender would more than likely be up for a crack at the winner of this match sometime in 2021. Fury stated that he would be more than wiling to give the fellow Brit Whyte a chance.
“He deserves a shot. He’s a high-ranked contender who ain’t had a shot at a world title. It seems to me everybody else has but him. So when I beat Wilder I’ll give him a shot, he can be a defence for sure. One of my last three. Joshua and Whyte – done.”
“I think he’s a good fighter. Good boxer, good puncher, gritty determination, can climb off the floor and win fights. I think he’s just one of those people who’s not just had the lucky breaks that everyone else has. I think he’ll get his shot. He’s only 31/32, same age as me, young for a heavyweight. He’s coming off a bit of a layoff, six months or so, so he needs to get back in the ring and get match fit again.”
In order to get to Whyte or even Joshua, Fury has Wilder first.