Connect with us

Caleb Truax out of PBC co-main event Saturday night

News

Caleb Truax out of PBC co-main event Saturday night

PBC File Photo

Caleb Truax out of PBC co-main event Saturday night

The bad luck and out of ring complications continue for Super Middleweight contender, Caleb Truax, who is now out of the co-feature fight for Saturday night’s “PBC on Fox” show in Los Angeles.

Boxing insider Dan Rafael was the first to report Friday afternoon that Truax is withdrawing due to  becoming ill/dehydrated while trying to make weight over the last 24 – 48 hours:

Truax was slated to flight Alfredo Angulo in an IBF 168 lb. “title eliminator fight,” as part of the Erislandy Lara – Greg Vendetti card from the Microsoft Theater in downtown L.A.

Truax is the former IBF Super Middleweight World Champ himself, having beaten England’s James Degale by decision for the title in the U.K. in December of 2017. DeGale out fought him four months later in a rematch to retake the title.

Truax, 31-4-2, was trying to get back into the championship picture before his fight with Peter Quillin in April 2019 was deemed a no-contest due to a nasty gash for Truax from a clash of heads. Next, while training for the rematch with Quillin, Truex suffered a right Achilles injury that had him out of the ring for almost 9 months.

In the interim, Angulo defeated Quillin to put himself in position for the possible title shot. Meanwhile, Truax recovered from the injury and scored a decision win over David Basajjamivule in January of this year in Minnesota.

And now, the fight with Angulo was set to allow the winner the shot at Plant’s title.

Truax told the media earlier in the week that he had further faced adversity with his training camp in Minnesota because of the pandemic. He at times, was having to work out in a gym by himself due to health guidelines and social distancing policies in Minnesota.

And he expressed the frustration of having watched Angulo defeat Quillin last Fall, while he was laid up with the Achilles injury,

“I had kind of an unlucky year and a half with the cut and the injury,” said Truax. “Watching Quillin and Angulo fight last September was definitely frustrating because that should have been me in there. But I’m a pretty low-key and even keel guy, so I just stayed calm and knew that I’d get my chance again, whether it was against Quillin or Angulo, or someone else.”

Now, he’s out and Angulo, 26-7, will fight Mexican born, Vladimir Hernandez, on less than 36 hours notice for Saturday night.

A veteran broadcaster of over 25 years, T.J. has been a fight fan longer than that! He’s the host of the “Big Fight Weekend” podcast and will go “toe to toe” with anyone who thinks that Marvin Hagler beat Sugar Ray Leonard or that Tyson, Lennox Lewis or Deontay Wilder could have beaten Ali!

More in News

Advertisement
To Top