Tyson Fury Said Sunday December Fight Won’t Happen
So, about Tyson Fury making sure that he fought someone, somewhere before the end of 2020. Well, the fighter has now admitted we won’t be seeing him in the ring before the year is out.
Fury posted on social media that despite his desire to defend the WBC Heavyweight Crown that he won in February by TKO over Deontay Wilder, it apparently will not happen on the proposed December 5th date,
The Gypsy King is returning in 2021. Only those that have supported me 100% since my comeback will be with me for the glory.
— TYSON FURY (@Tyson_Fury) November 15, 2020
This is apparently an indication that Fury and his British co-promoter, Frank Warren of Queensberry Promotions, either couldn’t secure contender Agit Kabayel to fight “The Gypsy King” or with the rising positive cases of Covid 19 everywhere, including the U.K., that there couldn’t be a crowd. Or, perhaps both things are true?
Warren had confirmed earlier this month that Fury wanted to fight the Kurdish, German born Kabayel on December 5th, and likely at London’s historic York Hall,
“We’re giving the guy we wanna fight, which is Kabayel, we’re giving him 24 hours now to sign the contract or we’re gonna move on,” Warren said to Talk Sport Monday.
“He’s undefeated and has a win on his record over Derek Chisora. He [was] the European champion and he’s ranked by the WBC. That’s who’s sitting at the moment on a contract and we’re waiting.
Kabayel, 20-0, 13 KOs, was most recently in action in Maddenburg, Germany, in July when he decisioned a little known Greek opponent over 10 rounds. He’s also ranked in the top 10 by the WBA.
Meanwhile, controversy still continues over whether Fury has the right to walk away from the third fight with Wilder? The two were slated to fight their third battle in July.
But, the Covid-19 pandemic shut the sport down for over 90 days delaying Wilder Fury from happening in the Summer. This was in part, because all parties involved wanted to try to have a live gate with fans present later in the year.
The fight was moved to October in an attempt to see if fans could attend and then moved again to December for the same reason.
Eventually, Fury announced that he was moving on from Wilder citing language in the rematch clause that reportedly says that either fighter could walk away, if the fight did not happen by the end of 2020.
For his part, Wilder broke his long silence for the first time on social media Saturday about whether Fury should honor the rematch clause and give him the chance to regain his title?
But as we wrote, he went far beyond just demanding the rematch but straight to an accusing theory of having loaded his gloves with “an egg weight” to injure him in their February fight.
And so, Fury went on the offensive at that accusation last Monday in a video conversation with British Boxing host Gareth Davies,
“Wilder has tried to bring my character down with the Bulls#*t he’s said. So, if I was like the rest of the world, I’d probably sue him for defamation of character for about $100 million. But, I’m not interested in doing that type of thing.
So, he’ll never get a shot at me, now.
Finished….for what he said. Losing is one thing. Everybody can lose to a better man. To come out with the amount of B.S. he’s come out with over the last 8 months? …He’s ridiculous. I don’t want to give him any air time.”
For his part, Wilder and his business manager/spokesman, Shelly Finkel, has confirmed that they requested mediation over the contract language and possible third fight. He also relayed that they believe it will ultimately take an arbitrator to rule that Fury has to fight Wilder next.
So, is Fury trying to clear up the contract language once and for all?
Did Kabayel pass on fighting him creating the delay until at least January on his return against someone else, not named Wilder?
Time will tell on all of those questions.