Report- Triller Contract Sent To Teofimo Lopez For October 5th
The latest twist in the constantly changing Teofimo Lopez Undisputed Lightweight Title Defense with Australian George Kambosos is that the promoter/broadcaster, Triller, wants the fight in New York City on October 5th. And, a report Monday says they sent Lopez a contract to that effect.
ESPN boxing insider Mike Coppinger wrote Monday afternoon that Triller CEO Ryan Kavanaugh informed him that they want the battle for Lightweight supremacy delayed by Lopez’s positive Covid 19 test in June to now take place in his adopted home of New York. And, it would be part of their fight series deal that they have with Madison Square Garden for their adjacent “Hulu Theater.”
— Mike Coppinger (@MikeCoppinger) August 23, 2021
Coppinger got from Kavanaugh Monday,
“We’re really excited about it: Tuesday night boxing in New York,” Kavanaugh said. He added that the pay-per-view will be available for $19.99 via FITE or for $2.99 as part of a monthly Triller subscription.
This is the latest chapter of the odyssey of where Lopez-Kambosos might land for a date/location? As we wrote previously, Triller was attempting to hold the bout in mid-October in Kambosos’ home country of Australia.
Triller and their “Fight Club” series has been frustrated by the delay in holding the title bout that they won on a huge purse bid of over $6 million dollars for the seemingly ordinary Lopez-Kambosos matchup. This is in part, because Lopez contracted Covid 19 and began being symptomatic just a couple of weeks prior to the bout scheduled for Miami in June.
However after “floating” the Australia idea Lopez’s legal representative went to work. And, they filed a 21 page brief to the IBF late last month, citing clauses and policies where they say that Triller couldn’t just move the mandatory defense to a completely different continent without the champ’s consent.
Triller originally discussed an August date for the reschedule and also, in September as potentially part of Oscar De La Hoya coming out of retirement to fight a September 11th against former MMA fighter Vitor Belfort in Las Vegas. Neither of the August or Septembr dates could be agreed to by Lopez.\
The Honduran born, New York raised star Lopez scored an impressive upset decision win his last time out on October 17th beating one of the top pound for pounder fighters in Vasiliy Lomachenko in Las Vegas. That pushed his career record to 16 – 0, 12 KOs, and, it made him the man to beat at 135 lb. with all the major titles.
As for Kambosos, he was last in action a couple of weeks after that on Halloween winning a hard-fought, split-decision over Britain’s Lee Selby. That made the Australian 19 – 0 with 10 KOs and put him #1 with the IBF.
Triller debuted their Tuesday night fight series earlier in this month that included a “rap battle,’ as well as the fights, will Heavyweight Michael Hunter scoring a brutal KO in the main the event.
The company had the winning purse bid, when they bid over six million dollars for Lopez-Kambosos. That was more than double anything Matchroom Boxing and Top Rank Boxing had put as their best offer. Lopez will get over $3.5 million to defend, which is the largest payday of his career.