The Coronavirus pandemic continues to dominate world news and now, one of the most famous active boxers is in quarantine after coming in contact with it earlier this week. Eight-division World Champ and future Hall-of-Famer, Manny Pacquiao, says that he has tested negative for a second time for the potentially deadly virus after he was potentially exposed to it earlier this week.
The Philippine Star reported early Sunday morning, Manila time, that Pacquiao had briefly confirmed to them Saturday night, he took a second Covid-19 test and got good news, so far:
Sen. Manny Pacquiao said he has tested negative for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) twice but added that once he experiences symptoms of the deadly virus he will undergo swab testing with the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM). https://t.co/C3Wpl1LADo
— The Philippine Star (@PhilippineStar) March 28, 2020
“Negative. We’re in good health. No symptoms,” Pacquiao told the outlet. However, he did not say if anyone else in his family had been tested.
Pacquiao, a Filipino senator, and his family had been ordered to stay in quarantine after a photo surfaced in the Philippines, where he was shown at a party with fellow Filipino Senator Koko Pimentel, who has since tested positive for the Coronavirus.
Pacquiao refuted the timeline of the photo saying in a letter to government officials that the media obtained Saturday, that the photo was from a party on March 4th at his home.
Two other Filipino senators also have tested positive for Covid-19, and Pacquiao was most recently at the legislative body on Monday, when they held a special session.
Pacquiao says has not been out of his home since returning on Monday, and even released this public service announcement video on Friday for the Philippine nation to take the coronavirus seriously. He urged everyone to keep their “social distance,” if not stay home and be isolated:
WATCH: Sen. Manny Pacquiao thanks Filipinos for cooperating in govt's quarantine measures and urges them to have faith in God. He also thanked billionaire Jack Ma for donating COVID-19 test kits @PhilippineStar pic.twitter.com/wBjWZ6dcBv
— Paolo S. Romero (@PaoloSRomero) March 28, 2020
Pacquiao further told the Philippine Star that, if he begin to experience symptoms associated with Covid-19, then he will take another more thorough test. Pacquiao claims to have used a “rapid testing kit,” he had received this week that has been utilized by tens of thousands in South Korea.
Over 13,000 deaths have been reported related to the deadly virus, so far, worldwide.
Pacquiao’s boxing career has been in limbo, since he decisioned Keith Thurman in 12 rounds last July in Las Vegas on Pay-per-view. It had been believed that Pacquiao was going to fight later this summer and potentially, even against UFC Megastar, Connor McGregor.
However, the sport of boxing, along with almost every other facet of professional sports world wide, has ground to a halt. And, it may be until at least June or later before fights resume, again, anywhere in the world.
This is due to social distancing concerns and not being able to have any size gathering be part of a boxing match.