Canelo Refutes That He’s Agreed To Fight Bivol
One thing is for sure- Canelo Alvarez is in complete control of whomever he’s going to be fighting in Las Vegas in May and he made clear again, late Thursday night that unless he says who it is/when, then it’s not to be believed.
Alvarez was responding on social media to an ESPN.com article and some comments on an ESPN+ boxing show by insider Mike Coppinger. Coppinger had reported Thursday night that Alvarez has agreed to fight Russian Dimitry Bivol next for the WBA Light Heavyweight title.
Coppinger has since deleted tweets that said Alvarez had “signed” to fight Bivol and then, potentially fight Gennady Golovkin in a trilogy bout this Fall.
However, one of the now deleted social media posts referencing “you agreed” was quickly denied by the future Hall of Famer here,
I don't even agree I'm still negotiating don't lie to people the day everything is signed that day I'll let them know for now there's nothing concrete. https://t.co/Oy94OcMTLI
— Canelo Alvarez (@Canelo) February 18, 2022
As we wrote previously, Coppinger reported (or at least advanced the agenda of) Matchroom Boxing and promoter Eddie Hearn trying to get a two fight deal with Alvarez and guaranteeing him over $90 million.
Matchroom handled three straight Canelo bouts with Callum Smith, Avni Yildirim and Bill Joe Saunders from December 2020-May 2021.
Hear us discussing the possible scenarios for Canelo in May on our latest “Big Fight Weeeknd Podcast” here:
However, while Coppinger has his report, it should be noted that there have also been other reports and Big Fight Weekend has a source with Premier Boxing Champions that all say Alvarez had been close to finalizing with WBC Middleweight Champion Jermall Charlo next in May. Charlo would move up to 168 lb. to fight Canelo for his titles on “Cinco De Mayo” weekend with a more lucrative pay per view exclusive through PBC and Alvarez also maintaining the PPV rights to the Mexican television market.
PBC did a lucrative deal with Alvarez on PPV for his last bout in November, when he stopped Caleb Plant to become Undisputed 160 lb. champion.
To complicate matters in the short term, Jermall Charlo was arrested for assault last weekend in the Houston area over an incident with an undisclosed male family member or friend at his house last Fall. Charlo bonded out on the felony assault charge Monday and has a March court hearing.
Would this cost the Texan the chance at a “lottery ticket” pay day against the Undisputed Super Middleweight champ? That remains to be seen.
But, there is no denying that Charlo is a much bigger live gate and PPV draw in the U.S. than Bivol will ever be.
And, obviously, it’s still up to Canelo, as to what he’s doing next and he made it pretty clear Thursday that he’s not decided and that we shouldn’t listen to reports before hearing it from him.