Connect with us

Adam Azim to face Canadian former world title challenger on May 30

Adam Azim and Kurt Scoby Press Conference ahead of their Super Lightweight Contest

Boxing News

Adam Azim to face Canadian former world title challenger on May 30

Photo credit: Mark Robinson - Matchroom Boxing

Adam Azim to face Canadian former world title challenger on May 30

Adam Azim (14-0, 11 KOs) will face a Canadian boxer when he steps into the ring on May 30.

The British super lightweight is scheduled to take on Steve Claggett (40-8-2, 28 KOs) at the Wembley Arena in London, England. Fight fans in the United Kingdom will be able to catch the action live on BBC Two.

The announcement was made by the BBC on Wednesday and has been posted to their social media channels. It will be Azim’s first fight of 2026. He was originally set to face Gustavo Lemos earlier this year, but an injury prevented the bout from happening. The fight was not rescheduled on account of Lemos reportedly withdrawing from the opportunity.

Adam Azim and Steve Claggett speak on upcoming clash

“This is another big step forward for me on my journey to a world title,” said Azim in a press release. “I’m excited to be headlining live on the BBC in front of a massive audience. I always want to be involved in entertaining fights, and on May 30, I’m going to give the fans a night to remember. Steve Claggett is a tough, experienced fighter, he gave Teófimo López his toughest fight, and that’s exactly the kind of challenge I want. I’m ready to put on a great performance and show everyone why I’m destined for the top.”

“I’ve spent my entire life working towards an opportunity like this,” said Claggett in the same press release. “I’m grateful and excited to be coming to the UK to fight Adam Azim. I know Adam is a good, young boxer, and I’ll be preparing for the very best version of him on the night. I’ve put in the hard work, I’m already in great shape, and on fight night I’ll be ready to show the UK fans what I’m all about.”

Adam Azim holds top 10 rankings, Steve Claggett a former world title challenger

The May 30 contest will see a former world title challenger take on someone who holds top 10 rankings with three boxing sanctioning bodies. Claggett faced Teófimo López in 2024 for the WBO super lightweight world title. He lost via unanimous decision with scores of 120-108 (x2) and 119-109.

Azim is currently ranked eighth with the IBF and WBC in addition to being seventh on the WBO’s rankings. Such rankings put him within reach of a world title shot. At present, Shakur Stevenson and Dalton Smith hold the WBO and WBC world titles, respectively. The IBF title is vacant with Richardson Hitchins having recently chosen to move up to welterweight.

More details regarding the Azim-Claggett fight card can be expected in the coming weeks.

Continue Reading

Currently writing out of Toronto, Canada, Saadeq first became a boxing fan while living in Doha, Qatar. Looking to become more involved in the sport, he began writing about boxing and has had work published in outlets such as Seconds Out and Boxing Social. He looks forward to continue covering boxing on Big Fight Weekend.

More in Boxing News

To Top