Keith Thurman is looking to rebound off his first career loss to Eight-division champion Manny Pacquiao by regrouping and more specifically, requesting a rematch with Pacquiao.
One of the reasons Thurman said why in an interview with TMZ Sports is he believes that the contest that he lost by split decision in July was a draw against him.
“I still got a lot of respect for him. I still think the fight was nothing more than a draw. I don’t really think he won the fight. I know it was hella close, sometimes it’s a coin toss and in a coin toss it’s sometimes 50-50 and you gotta pick heads or tails.”
— TMZ Sports (@TMZ_Sports) August 6, 2019
While there was a report earlier in the day that Josseito Lopez was interested in a rematch with Thurman, Thurman himself has his eyes set on avenging his first career loss to the hands of Pacquiao.
“I’m ready for the rematch,” Thurman told TMZ Sports.”He just got off to a good start, I was behind, and he was just a little bit calmer than I expected Manny Pacquiao to be. At his age, he’s calming down, he’s not taking chances like a young fighter. He’s smarter, he’s been through it all.”
Thurman also mentioned to TMZ he was willing to travel to make this match happen, as Pacquiao already hinted after their match he wouldn’t be in the ring again until 2020.
“Why not? I think it’s the best fight of the year,” Thurman said to TMZ. “I might have to go to the Philippines and we’ll need to talk in person. I might have to do that. Apparently, the Philippines loves me now. They are big fans of Keith Thurman out there. Before they weren’t. Now they love me. They loved the fight, they loved the action, it wasn’t the Floyd Mayweather fight [with Pacquiao], it wasn’t the Adrien Broner fight [with Pacquiao], it was a real deal championship boxing match.”
Thurman himself before this match said he wouldn’t be back in action until 2020 as well. Let’s see if the first match back for both is against each other.