Jermall Charlo Felony Assault Charge Dropped
Although he’s been out of the ring for a significant amount of time, WBC middleweight champ Jermall Charlo has gotten a victory outside of it.
This, as TMZ Sports reported Monday night that they’ve learned that Charlo’s felony assault charge from the fall of 2021 in Fort Bend, Texas has been dropped,
Prosecutors tell TMZ Sports they're dropping the felony charge against star boxer Jermall Charlo. https://t.co/gNfeU3PTX1
— TMZ Sports (@TMZ_Sports) September 12, 2022
“According to court documents, Charlo was accused of roughing up a family member during a Sept. 5, 2021 incident in Fort Bend County, Texas. He was eventually arrested over it all back in February, and charged with felony assault.
But a spokesperson for the Fort Bend County District Attorney’s Office tells us they filed a motion to dismiss the case on Monday “based on the reason that we cannot prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.”
“Evidence developed in a way that did not support the charge to conclusion,” the spokesperson said.
Charlo’s attorney said in a statement Monday the 32-year-old was “very happy” with the decision.
“Nine witnesses came forward to say Charlo never hit his 21-year-old nephew,” said Charlo’s lawyer, Kent Schaffer. “Jermall is very happy. He can concentrate on preparing for his next fight now that this distraction has been removed.”
As we wrote earlier this year Charlo was taken into custody from an alleged September 21, 2021 incident in which he’s accused of “punching or grabbing” a man, who was actually a relative.
Charlo’s arrest had come after a previous robbery charge in connection with an incident at a San Antonio, Texas sports restaurant in June of 2021.
Charlo got into a dispute at the restaurant on the night before his twin brother Jermell fought Brian Castano for the Undisputed Jr. Middleweight title in San Antonio. That dispute was over whether or not his credit card had been declined and whether he had grabbed the waitress in an altercation to take his card back or not?
Eventually, Jermall Charlo was cleared of those charges in early February 2022 with the Bexar County (San Antonio) prosecutor’s office declining to prosecute. This, after witness statements and a video tape backed up Charlo’s claim that it was a mix-up / dispute over his credit card that did not actually rise to the level of felony violence or robbery.
We still await Charlo’s return to the ring to defend his WBC 160 lb. crown. His bout from June against veteran journeyman Maciej Sulecki in Houston was postponed for what was described as a slight back injury in training for the champ. However, there were persistent rumors behind the scenes that there were dismal ticket sales/little interest for the Sulecki fight. And, it’s very telling that no announcement of a re-schedule of that proposed fight has come, now three months later.
The belief is that Charlo may return later this year on a Showtime PPV in November or December, where they and PBC are looking at dates and possible fights.