Undisputed lightweight champ Devin Haney got a recent victory out of the ring. This, as the L.A. County District Attorney’s Office has declined to proceed with his concealed weapons charge arrest last month.
Haney was taken into custody in the early morning hours of July 13th after a traffic stop. The 24 year old was not driving, however, there was a loaded handgun in the vehicle and even though he nor his security guard who was driving would claim ownership of the gun, Haney was the registered car owner and therefore, charged with felony carrying a concealed weapon.
Well, Thursday afternoon, the L.A., DA told ESPN that they had declined to proceed on that charge last week, and the case was officially dropped Thursday morning in L.A. County Court.
Devin Haney was facing a charge of carrying a concealed weapon in a vehicle, but the DA declined to proceed Thursday after Haney’s court appearance in L.A, per records.
"The DA rejected to file charges due to insufficient evidence," Bill Haney told ESPN.https://t.co/Qkkmb8WatV
— Mike Coppinger (@MikeCoppinger) August 3, 2023
Haney’s father/trainer Bill had told ESPN in the aftermath of the arrest of his son that it was a “misunderstanding that would be solved when he goes to court.” And, that turns out to be correct.
Haney, 30-0, 15 KOs was last in the ring on May 20, when he defeated three division world champion Vasyiliy Lomachenko in a battle for the undisputed lightweight championship. Haney successfully defended his titles via a close unanimous decision. The win was the most significant to date of Haney’s career.
Hear more from Dan Rafael with me talking Haney’s clearing by the L.A. District Attorney’s Office and his probable title shot with Prograis by clicking play on our “Big Fight Weekend Preview Podcast” by clicking below,
Haney has many options
Following the Lomachenko victory, many began to wonder what direction he would go in? Would he remain at lightweight and fight the remaining contenders at that weight or move up?
More recently, newly crowned WBO 140 lb. title holder Teófimo López announced that he was retaining his super lightweight title and proceeded to call out Haney for a possible showdown.
However, it appears that the unbeaten Californian will instead fight WBC junior welterweight champ Regis Prograis, with that bout tentatively scheduled for late October or early November. Haney is a promotional free agent and that falls into line with him being able to battle Prograis, who is in the midst of a three fight deal with Matchroom Boxing.