Frank Warren Says Hearn “Got Nothing To Do With” Fury-Whyte Fight
Late last week Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn made the rounds in press conference settings from the Amanda Serrano-Katie Taylor upcoming ladies Lightweight championship in New York to the Carlos Cuadras-Jesse Rodriguez Super Flyweight Title bout in Phoenix. And, at those events he was repeatedly being asked for updates on the purse bid ordered by the WBC for its Heavyweight Title fight between Tyson Fury and Dillian Whyte. Hearn repeatedly answered questions by saying to the effect that he didn’t know and/or “hasn’t seen a contract,” etc.
Well, Queensberry Promotions boss Frank Warren made it clear this weekend that there’s a legitimate reason for that- Hearn’s not involved in the promotion or the contract offer being presented to Whyte.
Warren appeared on the “Behind the Golves” podcast/video program in the U.K. being hosted by British BT Sport’s Jo Ankier, and she pressed him on the subject of Whyte not responding publicly to the mandated purse bid,
“Contract is being dealt with by Dillian’s lawyer. Eddie Hearn for once is quite right. He’s not seen a contract, because he’s got nothing to do with it,” Warren said with a “dead-pan” sense of humor.
“We’ve sent it direct with Dillian. So, that’s where we are. And, I expect everything to be fine and we expect him to appear at a press conference, which we hope we can do next week.”
Of course, despite Warren “zinging” his rival Hearn for frequently talking about things that he doesn’t have real involvement in, there is some concern that Whyte won’t agree to whatever the deal that was put in front of says.
That’s because Whyte believes that the WBC should be giving him more than 20% of the record $41 million purse bid that Queensberry won for the proposed Fury title defense.
Still, most boxing observers are in agreement that if Whyte passes on this opportunity, the WBC will move on to allowing Fury to fight another one of their ranked opponents of Fury’s choosing. Further, Whyte would be turning down the most lucrative, by far, payday of his career and at approaching 34 years old may never see that kind of offer (in excess of $8 million), again.
Warren further told the show that they believe that they will announce an outdoor, massive capacity venue for Fury-Whyte upcoming on Thursday this week. It’s believed that legendary, remodeled Wembley Stadium , which seats over 90,000 for boxing is the front runner. However, the host Ankier also brought up on the show to Warren about London Stadium at Queen Elizabeth Park, which was used for the 2012 Summer Olympics for Track and the Opening/Closing ceremonies. And, it would have slightly smaller seating capacity of over 70,000 for the proposed Fury-Whyte bout.
Warren didn’t deny that that venue was also being considered.
Warren also got one more “jab” in on Hearn at the end of the show. That’s when he “congratulated” Hearn for having “the highest purse bid for a Heavyweight title fight ever…for 10 seconds.” That was Matchroom’s proposed $32 million bid for Fury-Whyte. Then, 10 seconds later the WBC opened and announced the blind bid of Queensberry for the record $41 million to secure promotional rights to the fight.
Now, we wait for more announcements and of course, for Whyte to officially sign off on taking the fight.