WBA light heavyweight champ Dmitry Bivol is still looking for his next defense and this weekend it looks less likely that it will be a rematch with future hall of famer, Canelo Alavarez. At least, that’s according to the unbeaten Russian’s manager, who says what’s being offered to them is “stupid.”
Vadim Kornilov, spoke Friday night to ESPN Knockout’s Salvador “Chava” Rodriguez and has made it clear that the Alvarez side’s demands in the rematch discussions show them that Canelo doesn’t really want to fight Bivol again.
En la lona revancha entre Canelo y Bivol para septiembre https://t.co/mVmcVmnmUU
— Salvador Rodriguez (@ChavaESPN) June 3, 2023
“They don’t want a rematch,” Kornilov told ESPN Knockout. “They know that they lost very badly in the first fight and that they have less chances of winning in the second. When did you hear of a fighter who, after losing, asked for a rematch on the same terms?”
Bivol handed Alvarez only his second career defeat and his first loss in almost a decade, when he won a decisive 12 round decision in May 2022 to retain his WBA 175 lb. championship. The PPV bout on DAZN saw Canelo get the overwhelming share of the money, while holding the “one-way rematch” clause if he lost.
Alvarez has invoked that clause maintaining that he wants to fight the Russian again, but on his timeline and terms.
For examples, he fought a trilogy bout last September with former unified middleweight champ/rival Gennadiy Golovkin. And, while not spectacular, Alvarez gutted out a decision over Golovkin to give him a second win, to go along with a draw, over Triple G in their three fights. Alvarez then made good on his desire to defend his super middleweight world titles in his home country of Mexico.
He beat up England’s John Ryder for 12 rounds in another decision win in front of a roaring crowd of over 50,000 at a soccer stadium in Guadalajara back in May. In the ring after that fight, Alvarez made clear in interviews that he now wants the Bivol rematch for this Fall.
However, Kornilov told ESPN that the negotiations are almost insulting to them.
“In my opinion I think they don’t want a rematch and they are saying that to justify themselves and make another fight like they did with (Gennadiy) Golovkin, John Ryder and maybe (Édgar) Berlanga,” Vadim said. “A rematch cannot take place on the same terms as the fight you lost. It’s stupid. We are looking forward. Artur Beterbiev is our target”, Kornilov stated.
Certainly, he’s referring not only to the guaranteed money that Bivol, 21-0, 13 KOs, would receive needing to increase, but also, that a bigger portion of the PPV split should come the champions way after winning the first fight so convincingly and Canelo being the challenger, again.
As for the proposed undisputed light heavyweight bout with fellow Russian Beterbiev, Kornilov told our insider Dan Rafael earlier this year that those negotiations for a possible bout this Summer stalled out, because there simply wasn’t enough money for either fighter being offered by Top Rank Boxing and Beterbiev’s promoter for an undisputed bout.
Beterbiev has now signed on to defend his WBC/IBF/WBO titles in Canada, where he lives and trains, against England’s Callum Smith coming in August.
As for Bivol, if the Alvarez discussions to get back on track, he likely has to turn to a WBA contender defense. That might include current #1 contender Joshua Buatsi of England, who’s promoted by Matchroom Boxing and whom Bivol/Kornilov were in discussions with before for a possible defense.
Bivol was last in the ring in November, when he easily defeated Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez in a 12 decision for his eight straight title defense.