Canelo Saunders to fight in June? Maybe later?
It’s been a foregone conclusion since late last week, when Sports in the United States came to a grinding halt, that the Canelo Alvarez-Billy Joe Saunders World Super Middleweight title fight scheduled for May 2nd in Las Vegas would be postponed. Now a report Monday afternoon says the Canelo-Saunders fight will likely be pushed back to at least June and maybe longer.
Boxingscene.com senior writer and columnist, Keith Idec, wrote that they’ve been told that it’s possible that the fight will be in late June or maybe even later because of the current edict from the Center of Disease Control and state officials in Nevada to not to have a gathering with more than 50 people for at least eight more weeks:
Canelo Alvarez-Billy Joe Saunders Fight Postponed Until At Least June https://t.co/oozkh8zveP pic.twitter.com/RhI8S6LJnz
— BoxingScene.com (@boxingscene) March 16, 2020
The deal was apparently agreed to within the last two weeks to have Alvarez fight Saunders at the T-Mobile Arena for his WBO 168 lb. title just off the Las Vegas Strip. And, there was supposed to have been a “launch press conference” on St. Patrick’s Day Afternoon, Tuesday, in Los Angeles.
However that is now scrapped, while the uncertainty of the fight date continues.
As we wrote previously, DAZN streaming service, which has over $300 million invested in at 11 fight deal with Alvarez, wanted Canelo to fight on May 2nd. And then again, on Mexican Independence weekend in September against former Undisputed middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin.
The bout itself would place the once beaten. 29 year old Alvarez (53-1-2, 36 KOs) off his November Light Heavyweight title victory of Sergey Kovalev, against undefeated Saunders (29-0, 14 KOs), who was last in action stopping Marcelo Coceres in an 11th round TKO in November, as well.
A Canelo-GGG fight would be the third between the two with the first one having ended in a draw and the second one with a narrow decision win by Alvarez in September of 2018.
Now everything is figuratively, and literally, “on hold,” while we wait to see when Alvarez and Saunders can actually fight. And, if their bout will still be in Las Vegas or somewhere else later in the summer?