In a showdown of “undisputed vs. undisputed” it wasn’t really close, as Canelo Alvarez was the busier, harder punching fighter for 12 rounds in a unanimous decision win to retain his undisputed super middleweight titles over Jermell Charlo Saturday night in Las Vegas.
The PPV main event from Showtime and Premier Boxing Champions was a showcase of Alvarez’s skill and punching power as he won on scores of 119-108 and 118-109 on the other two cards.
Canelo was too good Saturday
Alvarez controlled the fight by moving forward and repeatedly landing big right hands and left hooks to the body. Charlo, who hadn’t fought 16 months, was never able to mount much sustained offense and was simply outclassed by the future hall of famer Alvarez.
The most excitement came in the seventh round, when Canelo, who was making the third defense of his four super middleweight world titles, landed a hard right hand followed by a short uppercut. That caused Charlo to go down after a one second delay. It was the only second time Charlo had been down in his career.
To Charlo’s credit, he survived the rest of the 7th round and was tough enough to take Alvarez’s punches, but that’s about all you could say for him. Charlo, the four belt junior middleweight champ, had moved up two weight classes trying to unseat one of the great fighters in this century. But, he didn’t come close.
“I’m a strong fighter all the time. I’m a strong man. Nobody can beat this Canelo,” Alvarez told Showtime in the ring post fight. “We worked to go into the body. We know he’s a great fighter. He knows how to move in the ring. We worked on that in the gym for three months.”
“I love boxing so much. Boxing made me the person I am today,” Alvarez continued. About the knockdown, “I worked all the fight to go to the body and then, I changed that punch (the right hand to the head). When you change that punch, everything goes along.”
Alvarez improves to a remarkable 60-2-2, 39 KOs, while winning his third straight bout. He told Showtime after the bout he wants to fight again in May and likely against WBC top contender, unbeaten David Benavidez.
As for Charlo, now 35-2-1, he said in the ring post fight that he will come off this loss and return to 154 lb., where he very likely fight Australian Tim Tszyu next. Tszyu is to fight Brian Mendoza in two weeks for the WBO 154 lb. world title and was to have fought Charlo in January of this year. However, the Texan broke his left hand and had been sidelined until challenging Alvarez Saturday night.
As for Alvarez, he sent the fans in Vegas home satisfied and his legions of his fans watching from Mexico had to be impressed with his latest one sided performance.