Connect with us

WBA Orders Rolly Romero vs. O’Hara Davies To Purse Bid

WBA Orders Rolly Romero vs. O'Hara Davies To Purse Bid

Boxing News

WBA Orders Rolly Romero vs. O’Hara Davies To Purse Bid

Showtime/PBC photo

WBA Orders Rolly Romero vs. O’Hara Davies To Purse Bid

Tuesday afternoon saw the World Boxing Association order their 140 lb. world title holder Rolando “Rolly” Romero’s defense against O’Hara Davies to purse bid later this month.

From their social media,

“The World Boxing Association (WBA) Championships Committee has called for a Purse bid to grant the promotional rights of super lightweight world title fight between champion Rolando Romero and challenger Ohara Davies on July 24, in Panama City, Panama #RomeroDavies “ the statement online said.

They added in a web article on their official site the following:
“The minimum amount to win the rights to promote the fight is US $ 110,000.00 while the purse split will be 75% for the champion Romero and the remaining 25% will go to the challenger Davies.”

Controversy last time out for Romero

Romero, 15-1, 13 KOS, was victorious in a shocking stoppage of Ismael Barroso WBA 140 lb. title fight back on May 13th in Las Vegas. Referee Tony Weeks has been under scrutiny for halting the contest that Barroso was competitive in and without Romero landing significant punches at the time it was halted.

Barroso, who is at least 40 years old and may be older, scored an early shocking third round knockdown with a hard left hook on the loud mouth- favored Romero. Romero rose on shaky legs for a few seconds, but regrouped. And, Barroso with more than a minute left in the round, couldn’t follow up for more damage or a possible KO for the upset.

However, the veteran continued to score, particularly with lefts and to the body and post fight, it was revealed that all three judges had Barroso winning the bout headed into the fateful ninth frame. That’s when Romero landed a good right hand, but most of his follow up blows missed or weren’t significant along the ropes and Weeks stopped the fight with Barroso actually throwing a punch back.

So, Romero captured the vacant WBA title and was immediately ordered to defend it against the top contender, Davies of England. He’s 25-2, 18 KOs, having won seven straight fights since a defeat to countryman Jack Catterall in October 2018.

Continue Reading

A veteran broadcaster of over 25 years, T.J. has been a fight fan longer than that! He’s the host of the “Big Fight Weekend” podcast and will go “toe to toe” with anyone who thinks that Marvin Hagler beat Sugar Ray Leonard or that Tyson, Lennox Lewis or Deontay Wilder could have beaten Ali!

More in Boxing News

To Top