Connect with us

Dillian Whyte Surfaced Finally Began Promoting Fury Fight

Boxing News

Dillian Whyte Surfaced Finally Began Promoting Fury Fight

Mark Robinson- Matchroom Boxing UK

Dillian Whyte Surfaced Finally Began Promoting Fury Fight

After weeks of speculation on whether challenger Dillian Whyte would actually participate in helping promote his upcoming WBC Heavyweight title fight with Tyson Fury, Whyte finally surfaced on social media Wednesday.

Whyte, put out a post about the April 23rd Wembley Stadium title bout early afternoon London time to his over 350,000 followers on Twitter,

Whyte, who just turned 34 years old this week, is 28-2 with 19 KOs and is being given the chance to challenge Fury in the champ’s return to the U.K. for the first time, as champion.

But, as we wrote previously, Whyte not only refused to help Queensberry Promotions promote socially after agreeing to the Fury showdown earlier this year, he didn’t bother to show up at all to the March 1st kickoff press conference. He chose instead to sulk about not getting more money than the already over $7 million guaranteed he will get for the title challenge.

Fury said at that time of Whyte’s no show,

“On this big occasion it’s Dillian Whyte’s biggest chance to do his thing. He’s been calling for a world title fight for I don’t know how many years,” Fury said Tuesday. 

I thought he would have came here to be part of ‘big time boxing.’ He’s never been involved in a fight of this magnitude, ever. Never likely to be involved in a fight of this magnitude ever again. So, I would have thought that he would have come here, sapped up all the experience, took it all in. This is his ‘moment in the sun….I’m here to be part of ‘big time boxing…

People don’t remember who the promoter was. People don’t remember who managed the fighters. 

People remember the fight and whether it was a good one. And, where it was…..I think it messes up his legacy a little bit as well….he didn’t have any involvement in the buildup. He’ll not be in any photographs. They’ll be no old magazines to look at….

I think it’s a shame not just for him, but for his kids and his family to look back on in time, as well.”

Fury, who’s 31-0-1, is in the driver’s seat for the massive pay day that he’s getting for the Whyte bout because of his two wins over American Deontay Wilder, including the second TKO stoppage last October.

And, the bout immediately sold over 90,000 tickets at Wembley, even without Whyte trying to hype it at all.

Now, we get ready for next week and the alleged first time that we’ll see and hear the English contender give his updates on training and his thoughts on the battle with Fury.

Certainly, for those who were questioning whether he would show up or not, and risk losing the massive guaranteed payday, Wednesday is a sign he’ll be there and ready to go.

Continue Reading

A veteran broadcaster of over 25 years, T.J. has been a fight fan longer than that! He’s the host of the “Big Fight Weekend” podcast and will go “toe to toe” with anyone who thinks that Marvin Hagler beat Sugar Ray Leonard or that Tyson, Lennox Lewis or Deontay Wilder could have beaten Ali!

More in Boxing News

Advertisement
To Top